INCLUDED IN A LEASE
Resident Artists are leaseholders at the Art Center. Accepted applicants shall receive a three (3)-year studio lease with publicly subsidized rent of $17.39 per square foot per year. Rent shall increase by 3% annually. This cost includes access to Alexandria’s high-traffic Potomac Waterfront and the King Street commercial corridor, building utilities, property taxes, Art Center marketing, Art Center staffing, professional-development opportunities, common area/bathroom custodial, Art Center programming, and other day- to-day operations. Housing, transportation, and parking are the responsibility of the artists.
NON-COMMISSION ART SALES
Artists are required to obtain a business license from the City of Alexandria. They may sell work from their studios and the Art Center does not take a commission from any sales.
LEASEHOLDERS SHALL HAVE
- Access to their studios between the hours of 6 a.m. and 1 a.m.
- Ability to participate in Art Center public programs and exhibitions.
- Use of shared utility sinks in hallways.
- Use of a shared spray booth (size limits apply).
- Use of loading dock.
- Use of freight elevators.
- Daily cleaned bathroom facilities.
- Dog friendly studio with additional Pet Agreement.
- 24-hour recording security cameras.
- Ability to take on additional sublease artists from approved list.
- Mail delivery.
- Free public WiFi.
- On-site building manager during public hours.
- Ability to use the name “Torpedo Factory Art Center” in self-promotions.
- Coffee, food, entertainment, shopping within walking distance.
- Nearby free trolley to King Street Metro Station / Alexandria VRE.
LEASEHOLDERS SHALL FOLLOW THE OPERATING RULES AND PROCEDURES
Read more on the Operating Rules and Procedures including time requirements for open studio hours for the public to watch you work, ask question, or make purchases.
SELECTING A STUDIO
Studios shall be awarded based on scores. Applicants will be permitted a ranking of the five (5) top studios they wish to lease. The higher the application scores, the more likely to get a first or second choice. It is not guaranteed that a successful application shall receive any of their top
choices, but staff will take all available measures to match applications with like studios. If a space becomes available that is not listed on this application, staff can place an accepted applicant into that space if their top choices are not available. Applicants have right of refusal, but may forfeit their ability to secure a studio in the Art Center during this round of applications. If a studio is not taken, the applicant may still become an Artist Pro Tem.
Incumbent artists, current Resident Artists at the Art Center, shall be given first right to their current studio if they score high enough to earn a studio and list their current studio as their top choices.
Studios Open For Consideration are listed on pages 14 – 17 of the 2023 Open Call Information Packet. Applicants may select up to five (5) top choices and list them on the application.
Return To 2023 Open Call Information Download 2023 Open Call Information Packet