Founded in 1974 in an old munitions plant, the Torpedo Factory Art Center is home to the nation’s largest collection of working-artists’ open studios under one roof.
An Alexandria landmark for nearly 50 years, it’s the highlight of the Potomac Riverfront, attracting approximately 500,000 visitors annually.
Find artists actively creating work in a wide variety of media–including painting, ceramics, photography, jewelry, stained glass, fiber, printmaking, and sculpture–in 71 artists’ studios. Observe the creative process and ask questions. Purchase original work for your own collection.
Stop into Target Gallery, the contemporary exhibition space for Torpedo Factory Art Center, to see a regular rotation of compelling and thought-provoking exhibition that push the envelope and spur conversations.
Learn more about our primary programs here.
The mission of the Torpedo Factory Art Center is to foster connections among artists and the public that ignite the creative spirit. We provide dynamic interactions with the arts through our community of visual artists, exhibitions, and programs. We offer art up close, in person, and in progress.
- We acknowledge and respect the legacy of the artist members who built this organization.
- We believe the arts are essential to human existence.
- We believe in the power of artists working cooperatively as a community – for economic viability, support, feedback, and the nurturing of new ideas.
- We value our role as an Alexandria community resource and collaboration as a means of achieving our goals.
- We believe in artistic excellence, innovation, and all forms of creative engagement.
- We strive to support artists at all stages of their careers from diverse communities, artistic genres, and traditions.
- Our home on the Alexandria Waterfront defines who we are. The building’s history informs and supports our work.
Read a recent press release from the City of Alexandria here.
Equity: Torpedo Factory Art Center holds the notion of working toward a world where we are all embraced for who we are and are able to thrive to reach our highest potential. Removing barriers to full participation and belonging in life and culture. Equity means promoting just and fair inclusion throughout our city, and creating the conditions in which everyone can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential.
The Art Center values a diverse community of artists and staff that reflects representation from different social, economic, and cultural backgrounds, as well as different artistic media, styles, and forms of expression. The Art Center values artists of all stages of their career, regardless of their formal arts training.
The Art Center embraces the ALL Alexandria initiative – Achieving Racial and Social Equity. ALL Alexandria means everyone thrives. ALL Races, Religions, Countries of Origin, Sexual Orientations, Ages, Genders and Abilities.
Remember to tag @torpedofactory and #artsALX in your photos. Also, follow the Torpedo Factory on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube. Follow @targetgallery on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.