Included in a Lease
Resident Artists are leaseholders at the Art Center. Accepted applicants shall receive a three (3)-year studio lease with publicly subsidized rent of $16.88 per square foot per year. Rent shall increase by 3% annually. This cost includes access to Alexandria’s high-traffic Potomac Waterfront and the King Street commercial corridor, building utilities, property taxes, Art Center marketing, Art Center staffing, professional-development op
portunities, common area/bathroom custodial, Art Center programming, and other day-to-day operations. Housing, transportation, and parking are the responsibility of the artists.
Non-Commission Art Sales
Artists are required to obtain a business license from the City of Alexandria. They may sell work from their studios and the Art Center does not take a commission from any sales.
Leaseholders Shall Have
- Access to their studios between the hours of 6 a.m. and 1 a.m.
- Ability to participate in Art Center public programs and exhibitions.
- Artist profile listing on torpedofactory.org.
- Use of shared utility sinks in hallways.
- Use of a shared spray booth. (Size limits apply.)
- Use of loading dock.
- Use of freight elevators.
- Daily cleaned bathroom facilities.
- Ability to bring their dog to their studio with additional Pet Agreement.
- Ability to take on additional sublease artists from approved list.
- Mail delivery.
- Free public WiFi.
- On-site building manager during public hours.
- 24-hour recording security cameras.
- Ability to use the name “Torpedo Factory Art Center” in self-promotions.
- Coffee, food, entertainment, shopping within walking distance.
- Nearby free trolley to King Street Metro Station / Alexandria VRE.
Operating Rules and Procedures
Due to the public nature of the Art Center, there are expectations for artists on engaging with the public and working within a community of artists. Accepted applicants shall follow rules of the Lease and Operating Rules and Procedures found here. These rules and procedures are subject to change with notice.
Additionally, accepted artists shall be required to obtain a City of Alexandria business license and renter’s insurance. Art Center staff can help advise on this process. Of note in the Operating Rules and Procedures, leaseholders are required to:
- Use the studio as a working space to produce work, not using it as a gallery.
- Engage the public, staff, and other artists, with courtesy and respect.
- Maintain time requirements for open studio hours for the public to watch you work, ask question, or make purchases.
- Maintain minimum noise only consistent with the working process.
- Work with the Art Center staff regarding any hazardous activities or material.
- Obtain any required permits for special equipment such as kilns or welding equipment.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Studio assistants are permitted, but do not count towards open studio hours if the artist(s) is not there.
- Monitor children that artists bring to the studio.
- Not use the public space as an extension of their studio.
- Share any security alarm codes with the Art Center staff.
Download the 2022 Information Packet and Map