Say farewell to summer nights and hello to summer sales! Find early discounts and specials in select studios throughout the building on the eve of the 2022 Alexandria Sidewalk Sale. Discover new art to love with a visit to our Artist Row featuring local artists from across the DMV. Take part in our giant sidewalk chalk mural party along the waterfront side of Torpedo Factory Art Center. Rain location will be inside the Grand Hall.
Visit the Target Gallery for the reception to their new show, “Turning Tides.” Explore the marine life with the Virginia Institute of Marine Science.
Target Gallery (Studio 2)
Reception: 7 – 9 pm
Art Talk: 8 pm
The new group exhibition in Target Gallery explores the effects of climate change in Turning Tides. Visitors to Turning Tides will experience themes of fear, grief, and resiliency over the looming environmental impacts of human interference. This all-media exhibition features 20 artists, with 7 from the greater D.C. metropolitan region.
Through These Eyes
As an extension of Target Gallery the Torpedo Factory Art Center is hosting the pop-up video exhibition, Through These Eyes, in Studio 9 of the Art Center during the summer of 2022. This exhibition features a series of videos that focuses on perspectives of underrepresented identities, including BIPOC identity, LGBTQ+ identity, and physical or mental disabilities in the form of film shorts, documentaries, and animations.
Sidewalk Art Party Activities and Exhibitions
Enjoy art projects, art tables, and hands-on activities with studio artists, visiting artists, and our friends at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science.
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS)
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) has a three-part mission to conduct research in coastal ocean and estuarine science, educate students and citizens, and provide advisory service to policy makers, industry, and the public. VIMS provides these services to Virginia, the nation, and the world. Chartered in 1940, VIMS is currently among the largest marine research and education centers in the United States.
Learn more about VIMS with the following tables:
- VIMS Give-away Table: posters, bookmarks, stickers, other give-away items about the Virginia Institute of Marine Science
- Visualizing Climate Change: Learn about the mechanisms of how climate is changing; demos on sea level rise (sea ice vs. land ice melting and how each impacts overall water levels), warming (bottles that will be placed under a heat source, one with “normal” CO2 levels and one with elevated CO2 levels, they can see temperature change over the course of the event), and thermohaline circulation (how warm and cold water move around our planet, and how the ocean regulates climate), as well as information about their research in Antarctica and how animal populations are shifting there.
- Ocean Acidification & Oysters: Take part in an activity where visitors use their breath to see how CO2 affects the acidity of water. Then join for an additional demonstration with chalk and vinegar to learn about the impact acidic waters has on oyster shell growth.
- Community Art Mural: Attendees are encouraged to draw or write what climate change means to them, or how those words make them feel.
Waterfront Chalk Art with Rajan Sedalia
Watch a chalk artwork created live at the Waterfront entrance of Torpedo Factory Art Center. Rajan Sedalia blends the boundaries of art, industrial design, comics and graffiti. He has been Recognized by Newsweek Who’s Next Readers’ Choice, and has created projects featured by PBS, CBS Evenings News and Voice of America. His clients include BMW, Nike, March of Dimes and Hasbro.
Facepainting Art Party
Visit the Grand Hall of the Art Center for a free face paint, balloon animal, or glitter tattoo courtesy of Miss Doreen Face Paints and Balloons.
Painting Project with Addie Moore
Watch as artist Addie Moore paints a new mixed media artwork of a landscape with acrylics, inks, collage, and acrylic markers. Visitors can add their own natural element (leaves, flowers, etc) as she works. You can also stop and color using coloring sheets made by Addie of plants and animals native to the DMV.
Meet some of the DMV’s up-and-coming artists. Get to know them now before they become famous!
Sidewalk Sale Early Art Discount Participants
Get Sidewalk Sale discounts a day early with these participating artist studios!
- Kurt Anderson (Studio 5) – Discount on 10×10 oil paintings
- Hyun Jung Kim (Studio 18) – 10% off
- Yoshiko Ratliff (Studio 203) – 10% off select works
- Brandi Couvillion (Studio 209) – 10% off
- Saya Behnam (Studio 229) – 10% off
- Jenny Nordstrom (Studio 320) – 10% off
- Guido Zanni (Studio 344) – 20% off on unframed works
DJ Set by DJ Floyd
Enjoy throwback and summer hits all evening through the musical artistry of DJ Floyd.
Meet the Post Grad Artist: Kamille Simone
Welcome the Summer 2022 Post Grad resident Kamille Simone to her first Late Shift Art Night! Stop by studio 319.
“I Love You” Waterfront Art Party with the Office of the Arts
As part of the Late Shift, join the Office of the Arts to celebrate with a summer art party by the “I Love You” sculpture. With artist Khalid Thompson and DJ Violetta Markelou. Music and live painting project starts at 7pm.