An Alexandria tradition for more than a quarter-century, Art Safari returns for an in-person day of activities for kids and families for the first time since 2019! Join fellow lovers of art and learning for outdoor Waterfront art activities and select projects in the Grand Hall of the building.
Great for kids ages 5+. Younger children may need some extra help, but will still have a lot of fun!
Masks are required for all visitors over the age of 2, regardless of vaccination status.
RSVPs requested. This event is free and open to the public.
List of Activities
- Painting Easel Stations – Led by Judy Heiser
With acrylic paint and paper, children paint anything they can imagine. As the works dry along the Waterfront entrance, the riverfront will burst with color and creativity.
- Watercolor Paper Postcards – Led by Joey Wade
Take part in creating watercolor paper postcards to send to friends!
- Shoreline Engineering – Led by Alexandria Archaeology Museum
Test your 18th-century engineering skills! It wasn’t easy for tall ships to reach Alexandria’s natural shoreline. New land was created in the 18th and 19th century to reach the deep water. Can you figure out a way to make new land without having it wash away into the Potomac? Things might get messy!
- Studio 14 – Silk screen printing – Led by Printmakers, Inc.
Take part in creating your own silk-screen image in the brand new Printmakers studio.
- Studio 16 – Papier-Mâché Animal – Led by Lisa Schumaier
Children use simple paper and paste to transform a wire frame into a wild animal. Arrive early to fill in the wireframe. Stay late to see the finished piece.
- Studio 21 – Gallery Scavenger Hunt – Led by The Art League Gallery
Find special things within The Art League Gallery’s current exhibitions. Each completed hunt earns a prize.
- Studio 29 – Fiber Collage – Led by Potomac Fiber Arts Gallery
Create a dynamic, textural collage using bits of fabric and fiber.
- Grand Hall – Button Making – Led by Alexandria Library
Alexandria Library staff help design and create custom buttons.
- Grand Hall – Fun with Loom – Led by Daniel Varillas
Have fun experimenting with color, texture, and pattern by taking part in creating a community weaving on a table loom!
- Studio 335 – Glass Art Sea Creations – Led by Alison Sigethy
Watch demonstrations of Alison’s glass art making process, and create your own glass sea shapes.
- 3rd Floor Landing – Zine Making Project – Led by Eliza Clifford
Fold and cut single sheets of paper into an 8-page zine and fill them with all kinds of sketches from drawing exercises and activity prompts.