September 7, 2016 – October 31, 2016
Local production company Through the 4th Wall has been commissioned by the Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association to stage the next evolution of their award-winning original immersive play — A Dream Within A Dream: Madness.
Have you ever been so taken with a stunning film, play or painting, or maybe read a great book and thought, “I wish I could live in that world, even just for a minute?”
Get ready… A Dream Within A Dream: Madness is a highly interactive, immersive theatrical production. It is a surreal interpretation of the life, works and mad genius of Edgar Allan Poe, as seen through the lens of the characters in his works and the people in his life.
By leveraging theater, film, music, dance, art and light design, we will transport the audience from present day… into a completely different world: The twisted psyche of Edgar Allan Poe. This production is the first of its kind at the Torpedo Factory.
The year is 1849 and since the death of his wife, Virginia, the brilliant writer Edgar Allan Poe has become increasingly unhinged… He has been seen all over the city, seemingly disoriented, possibly inebriated, often reciting passages from his darkest of works– and always still searching for his beloved Virginia.
As you cross the threshold and become immersed within his stories, the characters will come to life around you. As the lines between waking and dreaming, reality and imagination, sanity and madness become blurred, so will your perceptions of the man. Experiencing his mind from this unique perspective will change the way you look at Poe and his works, forever.
- All ticket sales are final and non-refundable.
- Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to stand and walk throughout three floors of the Torpedo Factory for almost 90 minutes.
- Suggested age is 16 and above.
- Find more information on directions and parking.
- There will be a cash bar where alcoholic (and non-alcoholic) drinks are served. Patrons drinking alcohol MUST show valid ID (21 years old).
- Performances begin promptly. There is no late admittance, nor are refunds given for late arrivals or missed performances. House opens 15 minutes before performance begins. Don’t risk missing the show, come early!
- Wheelchair accessibility for the show is possible. For details, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Further questions should be directed to: email@example.com or (703) 980-2948.
Get more involved:
Support the production with a donation to the Torpedo Factory! Make sure you write “Edgar Allan Poe” when asked how would you like your donation to be acknowledged!
Special thanks to Alison Sigethy, and all of the artists and board of the Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association and the Torpedo Factory Art Center whose generosity, skill, understanding, and cooperation made this performance possible.
Fall of House of Usher; $10,000+
Tell-Tale Heart; $5,000+
Annabel Lee; $1,000+
Gold Bug; $500+
Friend of Poe; up to $499
Burke & Herbert Bank
Interested in becoming Corporate or Private Sponsor? Email Doug Bradshaw (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information on sponsorship, rewards, and comp tickets!