2016 Annual Jury
Jurying is now complete for both two-dimensional and three-dimensional work.
Congratulations to the following newly juried artists:
Marcel Artes Deolazo
Hyun Jung Kim
Welcome to the Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association! Thank you to everyone who applied.
Note: The 2016 Membership Jury closed on January 29, 2016. A timeline for the 2017 Membership Jury will be established later this year.
The Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association (TFAA) is a thriving artist community dedicated to opening our active workplaces to public visits. Each spring the Torpedo Factory Artist Association conducts its annual jury for new Torpedo Factory Artists.
All of the artists in the studios of the Torpedo Factory Art Center have been selected for the artistic excellence of their work by an independent jury. The Torpedo Factory Artists Association (TFAA), a community of more than 200 professional artists, is dedicated to creating and exhibiting their fine arts and fine crafts in open studio settings and galleries where the visiting public and the cultural community can meet, learn and interact in the promotion and appreciation of the visual arts. The TFAA works in cooperation with the Torpedo Factory Art Center Board and the City of Alexandria to make this dynamic art center possible.
Annual Jury for New Artist Members
All artists working in fine arts and fine crafts are eligible. Fine crafts include such work as ceramics, textiles, jewelry, all kinds of sculpture, glass, film, video, and more. Upon selection, the applicant becomes a TFAA Associate Artist.
This years TFAA Annual Jury process will be conducted in two phases. Phase I will be an online application process and Phase II be will for successful applicants and it takes place every spring and lasts 4 days. Applicants and interested persons are encouraged to check this web page for updates such as jury dates, application downloads, and other important information.
- Weeks before Jury: Artists are highly encouraged to attend a jury information session for potential applicants on Sunday, January 10, 2016, or Saturday, January 23, 2016 (cancelled due to snow), in Studio 31.
- 1 – 2 pm: building tour
- 2 – 3 pm: Information session
- Phase I: All applicants must complete the online application at www.callforentry.org by January 29, 2016.
- Phase II: Phase I applicants will be notified if they qualify for Phase II.
- Results will be released in the spring after jurying has taken place. Applicants may check this page to see the list of newly juried artists.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply?
All applicants must complete the Phase I application form and submit 5-8 images of their work online. Successful applicants will be notified by email and are required to complete Phase II of the process. On the first day of Phase II Jury, applicants bring five pieces of their artwork plus a CD with images of 10-20 additional works, and a completed information form. The work will be juried over the second and third days.
For further information, contact Lesley Clarke at email@example.com.
Is there a Jury Information Session?
Jury Information Sessions are held prior to the Phase I Jury for anyone who is interested in applying to become a TFAA member artist. They are optional meetings during which the jurying process and the benefits of being an associate are discussed. This is a good opportunity for applicants to ask any questions they might have.
In addition, we are conducting Torpedo Factory tours to show artists considering joining our ranks, how many different opportunities there are for their participation.
Who are the jurors?
There will be separate juries for two-dimensional and three-dimensional artwork.
Two-dimensional jurors are:
- Twig Murray – Director of Antheneum Gallery, Owner of Design Firm
- Allison Nance – Director of Hillyer Art Space, Co-founder of microwave Project, Vice Chair of Alexandria Commission for the Arts
- Zöe Charlton – Associate Professor, Chair, Department of Art at American University
Three-dimensional jurors are:
- Robert Devers – Associate Professor at Corcoran School of the Arts and Design, GW University, Owner and founder of Blue Fire Studio
- Kevin Crowe – Owner of Tye River Pottery, Adjunct at Hood College
- Joan Dreyer – Executive Board Member of FiberPhiladelphia, Adjunct Faculty at Kean University and Tyler School of Art, Temple University