The Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association (TFAA) is a thriving artist community dedicated to opening our active workplaces to public visits. Each spring, the TFAA conducts its annual jury for new associate members.
This community of more than 275 professional artists is dedicated to creating and exhibiting their fine arts and fine crafts in open studio settings and galleries where the visiting public and the cultural community can meet, learn and interact in the promotion and appreciation of the visual arts. The TFAA works in cooperation with the City of Alexandria’s Office of the Arts to make this dynamic art center possible.
Annual Jury for New Artist Members
All artists working in fine arts and fine crafts are eligible. Fine crafts include such work as ceramics, textiles, jewelry, all kinds of sculpture, glass, film, video, and more. Upon selection, the applicant becomes a TFAA Associate.
The TFAA Annual Jury process is conducted in two phases. Phase I is an online application process, and Phase II (for successful online applicants) takes place each March onsite at the Torpedo Factory Art Center. Applicants and interested persons are encouraged to check this web page for updates. The Phase I deadline is January 27, 2017.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply?
All applicants must complete the Phase I application form and submit 5-8 images of their work online. Successful applicants will be notified by email and are required to complete Phase II of the process. On the first day of Phase II Jury, applicants bring five pieces of their artwork plus a CD with images of 10-20 additional works, and a completed information form. The work will be juried over the second and third days.
For further information, contact Lesley Clarke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is there a Jury Information Session?
Jury Information Sessions are held prior to the Phase I Jury for anyone who is interested in applying. They are optional meetings during which the jurying process and the benefits of being an associate are discussed. This is a good opportunity for applicants to ask any questions they might have.
The 2017 Information Sessions are:
Saturday, January 14 at 2:00 pm
Sunday, January 22 at 2:00 pm
Who are the jurors?
There are separate juries for two-dimensional and three-dimensional artwork. For 2016, the jurors were:
- Twig Murray – Director of Antheneum Gallery, Owner of Design Firm
- Allison Nance – Director of Hillyer Art Space, Co-founder of microwave Project, Vice Chair of Alexandria Commission for the Arts
- Zöe Charlton – Associate Professor, Chair, Department of Art at American University
- Robert Devers – Associate Professor at Corcoran School of the Arts and Design, GW University, Owner and founder of Blue Fire Studio
- Kevin Crowe – Owner of Tye River Pottery, Adjunct at Hood College
- Joan Dreyer – Executive Board Member of FiberPhiladelphia, Adjunct Faculty at Kean University and Tyler School of Art, Temple University