General Information about the Annual Jury Process
All of the artists in the studios of the Torpedo Factory Art Center have been selected for the artistic excellence of their work by an independent jury. The Torpedo Factory Artists Association (TFAA), a community of more than 200 professional artists, is dedicated to creating and exhibiting their fine arts and fine crafts in open studio settings and galleries where the visiting public and the cultural community can meet, learn and interact in the promotion and appreciation of the visual arts. The TFAA works in cooperation with the Torpedo Factory Art Center Board and the City of Alexandria to make this dynamic art center possible.
Annual Jury for New Artist Members
All artists working in fine arts and fine crafts are eligible. Fine crafts include such work as ceramics, textiles, jewelry, all kinds of sculpture, glass, film, video, and more. Upon selection, the applicant becomes a TFAA Associate Artist.
The Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association (TFAA) is a thriving artist community dedicated to opening our active workplaces to public visits. Each spring the Torpedo Factory Artist Association conducts its annual jury for new Torpedo Factory Artists. The 2015 Jury timeline is listed below.
2015 Jury Timeline
Torpedo Factory Tours for artists: December 28th, January 4th and January 25th, 1-2pm , meeting in studio 31.
Jury Information Sessions: December 28th, January 4th and January 25th, 2-3pm in studio 31.
Phase I Deadline: January 28th (Application online at www.callforentry.org)
2015 Jurors to be determined.
2015 APPLICATION AT CALLFORENTRY.ORG
General Information about the Annual Jury Process
This years TFAA Annual Jury process will be conducted in two phases. Phase I will be an online application process and Phase II be will for successful applicants and it takes place every spring and lasts 4 days. Applicants and interested persons are encouraged to check this web page for updates such as jury dates, application downloads, and other important information.
- Weeks before Jury: Jury information session for potential applicants will be held at the Torpedo Factory Art Center.
- Phase I: All applicants must complete the online application at www.callforentry.org by January 28, 2015
- Phase II Jury Day 1, March 23, 2015: Successful applicants drop off information materials with their, artworks, and digital submissions.
- Phase II Jury Day 2, March 24, 2015: 2D or 3D submissions are juried. Juror selections will be announced on this web page.
- Phase II Jury Day 3, March 25, 2015: 2D or 3D submissions are juried. Juror selections will be announced on this web page.
- Phase II Jury Day 4, March 26, 2015: Applicants pick-up artworks. Chosen artists will have some of their works selected for a special exhibition at the Torpedo Factory.
How do I become a Torpedo Factory artist?
Artists must go through the annual jury process and orientation session to become a member of the Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association (TFAA). All artists working in fine arts and fine crafts are eligible. Fine crafts include such work as ceramics, textiles, jewelry, all kinds of sculpture, glass, photography, video, and more. Upon selection, the applicant becomes a TFAA Associate Artist.
What are the benefits of Associate membership?
- You are eligible for short-term studio subleases (up to one year) from resident artists
- You may work toward joining a studio lease on a permanent basis
- You can have a web page on www.torpedofactory.org which gets approximately 12,000 unique visits per month (fee applies)
- You have the opportunity to submit images and updates of shows, awards, and special projects for promotional purposes and newsletters
- You are eligible to participate in complementary programming and Association volunteer opportunities TFAA Associates must remain current on annual dues in order to maintain juried status. Associates must also keep accurate contact information on file with the Association.
How do I get a studio?
Although solo studio vacancies are infrequent, our resident artist turnover rate averages 10% per year. Associates who are available and willing to accept subleases have a very good chance of studio placement.
The two ways to become a resident artist are:
- Joining a group studio. Established group studios select from the list of Associates when new members are needed.
- Subleasing for 180 days to gain eligibility for the Waiting List for Solo Studio Space. Associate artists must maintain a minimum sublease period of 120 days annually to remain on the waiting list.
How do I apply?
All applicants must complete (Phase I) an application form and submit 5-8 images of their work online. Successful applicants will be notified by email and are required to complete Phase II of the process. On the first day of Phase II Jury, applicants bring five pieces of their artwork plus a CD with images of 10-20 additional works, and a completed information form. The work will be juried over the second and third days.
When do I find out the results?
Applicants may check this web page on the second and third day of jurying to see the list of Newly Juried Artists.
Is there a Jury Information Session?
Jury Information Sessions are held prior to the Phase I Jury for anyone who is interested in applying to become a TFAA member artist. They are optional meetings during which the jurying process and the benefits of being an associate are discussed. This is a good opportunity for applicants to ask any questions they might have.
In addition, we are conducting Torpedo Factory tours to show artists considering joining our ranks, how many different opportunities there are for their participation. The dates of those tours are listed in the 2015 jury timeline above.
Jury Information Sessions will be held from 1pm – 3pm in Studio 31 at the Torpedo Factory Art Center.
Please RSVP to Lesley Clarke at email@example.com if you plan on attending an Info Session.
Who are the jurors?
Phase I will be juried by one juror and Phase II are separate 3-person panels judging the 2-D work and the 3-D work. The jurors are highly qualified professional artists, curators, teachers, museum directors and the like, who are independent of the Torpedo Factory. Their decision is final. They will look for work that meets the highest standards of professionalism and promise.
- Phase I – Zoma Wallace
- Phase II 2D – tba
- 3D – tba
We strongly encourage artists who are not selected to reapply since each year there is a new panel of jurors. NOTE: This jury process is NOT a critique. Artists will not receive a critique.
Whom do I contact for more information?
Contact Lesley Clarke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note to all film applicants: Filmmakers and artists using film or digital video as part of their works of art may now apply for studio space at the Torpedo Factory. However, because of the acoustics in the factory, all applicants need to be aware that sound would have to be fully controlled through the use of computers and earphones. Video or film applicants should keep their applications to a total of 10 minutes or less, in as many segments as they wish. Video and time-based submissions should be both PC and Macintosh compatible. Submissions must be able to play in standard media viewing programs such as DVD, Quicktime, or Windows Media players (MOV files are preferred). You may NOT submit VHS tapes. Website links will not be accepted as submissions. Please let Jury Chair Lesley Clarke know if you are submitting film or video so we can arrange to show your work to jurors.