A community-focused arts incubator
The New Project Studio offers short-term space for artists, nonprofits, educators, and other creative professionals to test new program ideas, spotlight underrepresented voices, and enhance community engagement. Projects rotate on a regular basis and are considered based on the following guidelines:
- Support new creative collaborations with neighboring organizations and partners
- Strengthen the connection between our resident artists and the greater creative community
- Provide opportunities for new audiences to engage with our building and artists
- Inspire the next generation of artists, innovators, arts supporters, and diverse voices
- The Torpedo Factory Art Center will provide a minimally-furnished studio space of 292 square feet on the first floor
- Studio space measures 13’ wide by 21’ 3” deep by 9’ 4” tall
- The building is equipped with bathrooms and water fountains
- The studio space is wheelchair accessible
- Preference for applicants that are part of an organization or collective
- Proposal goals must reflect and/or benefit the local community
- Must be willing to provide workshops and commit to at least 25 public hours per week
- One-month residency minimum
- Must be willing to cover own expenses, including supplies, travel fees, and studio rent
Past resident projects include partnerships with AIA Norther Virginia, Virginia Tech’s Washington-Alexandria Architecture Center, ReelAbilities Northern Virginia, The Silent World, Materialized Magic, St. George Gallery, Merimart + The HRCHY CIA, Mobile Art Lab, and the IMPart program.
Questions about submitting a proposal?
Contact Daniel Guzman, Programs Coordinator, at Daniel.Guzman@alexandriava.gov for more information.