After Black Friday and before Cyber Monday, there’s Small Business Saturday. All artists in the Art Center are also small, independent business owners and they help shape the distinctive and creative personality of Old Town Alexandria.
Give creatively this year and give art. Torpedo Factory Art Center is the region’s best place to find unique gifts, from handmade jewelry and ceramics to paintings and custom ornaments. Shop small and buy local from nearly 200 artists on all three floors. Hours are extended until 8 pm.
- 2- 6pm: “Build Santa’s Chair!” Community Workshop with UpCycle: Visitors are invited to help staff from UpCycle Creative Reuse Center and participating artists design Santa Claus’ Holiday Festival chair using reused materials and other items. The finished work will be on display in front of the spiral staircase for the entire week before Santa’s visit to the Art Center at the Holiday Festival, Saturday December 1.
- 12 – 4pm: Free Gift-Wrapping Station with Safe Space NOVA: After purchasing holiday gifts from artists studios and galleries, visitors are encouraged to have their items gift-wrapped for free by volunteers from Safe Space NOVA, an organization dedicated to providing a safe, accepting, and supportive environment to combat social stigmas, bullying, and other challenges faced by LGBT+ youth.
- 2 – 4pm: Interactive Art-Making with the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts: Be inspired; create a mask that reminds you of your community while listening to Congolese music. Provided by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, this traveling pop-up art space is in support of their current exhibition, Congo Masks: Masterpieces from Central Africa on view now through February 24, 2019 at the Richmond-based art museum.
- 10 – 8pm: DIY Art-Making Tables and Additional Seating: Need a break from exploring? Hands-on drawing projects will be available for visitors on the 1st and 3rd floors. Pull up a seat and get creative!
- 10 – 8pm: Coffee and Snacks with Bread and Water Company: Visitors can stop and take a break from their holiday shopping to visit our newly-opened cafe, Bread and Water Company, located on the first floor. Recharge with a bite to eat or a cup of coffee as you visit all the wonders our three floors of art has to offer.
- Vendor Stations by Board Bus and Living Threads: Popular local small businesses Board Bus and Living Threads Co. will be present inside the Art Center and out front on Union Street. Learn more about their community-focused missions while shopping local.
- Live Music: Enjoy music selections throughout the day to liven up your Art Center adventures.
- Special Offers in Select Studios: All throughout the day, select artist studios will offer specials and other exciting incentives. A full list will be available to pick up at the Art Center to help you explore.