“The Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association is a community of professional artists working in cooperation with the Torpedo Factory Art Center Board and the City of Alexandria to make this dynamic art center possible.”
Working artists + open studios
The Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association (TFAA), a community of more than 150 artists, is dedicated to creating and exhibiting their fine arts and fine crafts in open studio settings and galleries where the visiting public and the cultural community can meet, learn and interact in the promotion and appreciation of the visual arts.
1. Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association (TFAA) artists welcome visitors daily into our working studios, galleries, and workshops that feature a wide variety of media. We strive to make the Torpedo Factory Art Center a dynamic place to get to know the artists and their processes. Our work is included in some of the world’s most prestigious public, private, and corporate collections.
2. TFAA artists draw visitors from around the world who recognize the importance of the arts in broadening the understanding of culture and its diversity. We are a resource for adults and children who seek a greater understanding of how artists live and work.
3. TFAA attracts high caliber artists who benefit from being part of a vibrant artist’s community. The open studio setting encourages artist networking and visitor feedback.
4. TFAA develops our future leadership by encouraging participation at the committee level, in open forums, and through volunteer work for the Association. Teamwork and a sense of ownership strengthen the Association.
Opportunities for Artists
- All artists in the studios of the Torpedo Factory Art Center have been juried in by the TFAA. Learn more.
- During the summer months, the TFAA welcomes visiting artists for short-term residencies. It’s a wonderful professional development opportunity for emerging and experienced visual artists. Learn more.
How do I become a Torpedo Factory artist?
Artists must go through the annual jury process and orientation session to become a member of the Torpedo Factory Artists’ Association (TFAA). All artists working in fine arts and fine crafts are eligible. Fine crafts include such work as ceramics, textiles, jewelry, all kinds of sculpture, glass, photography, video, and more. Upon selection, the applicant becomes a TFAA Associate Artist.
What are the benefits of Associate membership?
- You are eligible for short-term studio subleases (up to one year) from resident artists
- You may work toward joining a studio lease on a permanent basis
- You can have a web page on www.torpedofactory.org which gets approximately 12,000 unique visits per month (fee applies)
- You have the opportunity to submit images and updates of shows, awards, and special projects for promotional purposes and newsletters
- You are eligible to participate in complementary programming and Association volunteer opportunities TFAA Associates must remain current on annual dues in order to maintain juried status. Associates must also keep accurate contact information on file with the Association.
How do I get a studio?
Although solo studio vacancies are infrequent, our resident artist turnover rate averages 10% per year. Associates who are available and willing to accept subleases have a very good chance of studio placement.
The two ways to become a resident artist are:
- Joining a group studio. Established group studios select from the list of Associates when new members are needed.
- Subleasing for 180 days to gain eligibility for the Waiting List for Solo Studio Space. Associate artists must maintain a minimum sublease period of 120 days annually to remain on the waiting list.