Close out summer with a good ol’ fashioned dance party covering the nearly five decades of the Art Center. 📻🎶
Enjoy feel-good pop hits from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and more. Put on your boogie shoes or blue suede shoes and get footloose with us! 🎶 💞 🎶
Retro dress highly encouraged.
- Reception for Illuminate, a special glow-in-the-dark exhibition in the Target Gallery. Hands-on project and additional artists comments at 8 pm
- Hands-on workshops for New Art/New Voices with emerging artists Han Sol Jeon, Michelle Chen, and Shani Shih in the New Project Studio (Studio 8)
- Show your Art Center school dance spirit! Stop by our “School Spirit Banner-Making Mural project” and contribute to your decade’s Late Shift: Summer Fling banner
- Make a Late Shift corsage at a DIY table before dancing all night on our Summer Fling dancefloor
- Take a photo with your sweetheart at a “Late Shift: Summer Fling” selfie station
- Hands-on art project with sculptor and art school graduate Sara Roberts in the Post-Grad Residency studio
- “Summer Fling” Video art projection on the waterfront side of the Torpedo Factory Art Center building from 8:30pm – 10pm, provided by video artist/comic book artist/musician Nguyen Khoi Nguyen
- Filmmaker/Video artist and Visual Arts Coordinator at the Strathmore Gabrielle Tillenburg invites you to walk down memory lane as she projects a looping video installation of every major prom/homecoming/school dance scene from the past 40 years of American cinema and television, titled “Enchantment Under the Sea”
- In Site 2 Community Gallery, visit Off the Grid, created by Kelli Schollard-Sincock of Inspiration Matterz.
- Pop-up art demonstrations throughout the building.
- DJ Starchild spins a special 3-hour retro “Summer Fling” set from 7 pm – 10 pm, featuring hits from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today.
- Who will be the “Late Shift: Summer Fling” King and Queen? Find out how you can nominate yourself or a friend — details on our Facebook and Instagram pages.
- Three floors of art studios and galleries to explore all night.
FREE, but RSVP requested.RSVP