Enjoy an special after-hours event at the Torpedo Factory Art Center every month. Browse open studios and galleries, interact with artists, grab a bronut, and enjoy special programming.
In April, we celebrate National Poetry Month with The Art of Poetry. This month’s line-up features receptions for Ephemera in Target Gallery, Newly Juried Artists in The Associates Gallery, and Open Exhibit in The Art League. Write a poem in the Alexandria Archaeology Museum (Studio 327) that’s inspired by the 18th-century ship found on the Alexandria waterfront. Welcome Samantha Sethi, the spring post-graduate resident, as she starts her three months in Studio 12. Write letters to the President with performance artist Sheryl Oring’s I Wish to Say project. The Northern Virginia chapter of the American Institute of Architects celebrates National Architecture Week with hands-on art projects. As always, EatsPlace has the beer and victuals.
- All Evening
- Local architects from AIA Northern Virginia invite visitors to explore their exhibition and take part in a series of DIY projects, including a matching game, a drawing project, and Scrap City.
- Sheryl Oring’s I Wish to Say gives people a chance to write postcards to the President. Starting in 2004, this project has sent more than 3,200 postcards to the White House over the past 13 years. Oring sets up a portable public office – complete with a manual typewriter – and invites people to write postcards to the President.
- Be it a haiku or an ode, write a poem in honor of the historic ship that crews discovered just a few blocks away. Learn about the ship and efforts to preserve it in the Alexandria Archaeology Museum.
- The Associates Gallery (Studio 311) features the work of the Newly Juried Artists.
- 7 pm: Target Gallery – Studio 2
Ephemera reception with Juror’s Talk
The newest exhibition in Target Gallery features the work of 22 national and international artists who contemplate themes of nature, time, memory, and brevity.
- 7:30 pm: The Art League – Studio 21
Open Exhibit reception with awards
Save the Date
Thursday, May 11
Join us as we celebrate “Everyone Has a Story”