Enjoy an special after-hours event at the Torpedo Factory Art Center every month. Browse open studios and galleries, interact with artists, and enjoy special programming. Stop by on your way to dinner and make an evening of it!
Night arrives earlier and earlier, but inside the Torpedo Factory, we celebrate with Winter Lights. Join us in December for a festive Second Thursday.
Attend gallery receptions in Target Gallery and The Art League Gallery. Preview scenes from Jane Franklin Dance’s new performance, The Migration Project. Patrick Sargent leads a hands-on cardmaking station and Jihee Kang shows visitors how to make mini paper ornaments.
Browse for holiday gifts on all three floors, then stop by EatsPlace for specials as part of its inagural Second Thursday.
- Site 3 (Hallway near the elevator on 3rd floor)
6:30 pm: Reception for Women’s Work, featuring art by Naomi Christianson, Julie Dzikiewicz, Lizzy Lunday, and Fierce Sonia
- Target Gallery (Studio 2)
7 pm: Reception for the new exhibition, Material as Medium, which explores fibers and textiles as high art. Juror Aaron McIntosh talks about his selections for the show.
- The Art League (Studio 21)
7:30: Reception for December’s Open Exhibit, juried by Robert Yi, and Dennis Crayon: That Which Was Once Whole. Crayon starts with an image of an old photograph and imagines what the world looked like just out of frame. A skilled trompe-l’œil artist, it may seem that the photograph is taped to the canvas, but it is part of the painting.
- Decorate dough and paper ornaments in the Alexandria Archaeology Museum (Studio 327) and learn about holidays in Alexandria’s history.
- Pat Sargent in Printmakers, Inc. (Studio 325) leads people through the process of creating their own greeting cards.
- Current Post-Graduate Resident Jihee Kang makes miniature paper ornaments in the Post-Graduate Studio (Studio 12).
- 6pm: Preview a section of ASO Sympatico’s Holiday Cheer. The full performance will take place on Saturday, December 10.
- 6:30 – 7pm; 8:20 – 8:45 pm: Live music throughout the evening with Cat Janice.
- 8pm: Preview a section of Jane Franklin Dance’s The Migration Project. The full production will have a one-night showing the following evening, on Friday, December 9.