Enjoy a special after-hours event at the Torpedo Factory Art Center every month. Browse open studios and galleries, interact with artists, and enjoy special programming. Stop by on your way to dinner and make an evening of it!
Join us in October for a special night celebrating Día de los Muertos, Day of the Dead.
- Paulette Palacios, the 2016 Winter Post-Graduate Resident, will lead visitors in a progressive silkscreening activity with ink stations located throughout the building.
- October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Target Gallery is hosting the Alexandria Domestic Violence Program as part of A (Mis)Perceived Physique: Bodyscapes by Three Women Artists. The Clothesline Project will be on view through the end of the exhibition on Sunday, October 16. They are also collecting new household goods for home warming baskets (PDF).
- Jihee Kang, the current Post-Graduate Resident (Studio 12), makes three-dimensional paper sugar skulls to color, cut, and assemble.
- In the New Project Studio, AIA Nova and WAAC presents Scrap City. People build their own buildings and insert them into a tabletop city grid to help reimagine the Alexandria Waterfront around the Torpedo Factory. Visitors are also encouraged to design a new wing of the Torpedo Factory.
- The Art League Gallery (Studio 21) hosts openings for Transformations: Tapestries in Glass and Op-Ed.
- The Associates Gallery (Studio 311) hosts a reception for Erika Cleveland: Upside Down, Inside Out: The Fanciful in Daily Life.
- Visit the Alexandria Archaeology Museum (Studio 327) and hear about the ghosts that haunt Old Town Alexandria. The night’s special guest will be from Alexandria’s Footsteps to the Past and will recount stories of paranormal activity at Alexandria’s historic landmarks. Special presentations at 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Singer/guitarist Benjamin Schnake performs beloved Day of the Dead songs and other Latin-American classics.
Also: Don’t miss these ongoing exhibitions!
- Scope Gallery (Studio 19): The Greatest Show of Earth: Clay Circus
- Potomac Fiber Art (Studio 29): Salute to Secondary Colors: Orange, Purple, and Green
- Multiple Exposures Gallery (Studio 312): Photo ’16: National Fine Art Photography of Sam Abell
- Printmakers, Inc. (Studio 325): Penny Barringer Memorial Exhibition